Our man on the ground was present at the Sala Grande for all the screenings for the entrants for the Festival. Here is the daily report on the films. These are personal views, not those of San Marco Press.
The Sala Grande holds about 1200 people and it is great cinema, good seats, good views & enough leg room. Most of the screenings are full, between those who have the season tickets, those who at involved with the film being shown & the accredited industry people who take any other vacant seats. The atmosphere is great, so is the sense of anticipation as we will be the first in Europe to see the films.
The interesting aspect of the event is that when you talk to people after the event or read the critics’ reviews there is such a difference of opinion. For example the two big US films The Master & To the Wonder range from 1 out of 5 to 5 in the papers!
To save you reading the daily roundup, the results were:
- Best Film – Pietà by Kim Ki-duk
- Best Actors – Philip Seymour Hoffman & Joaquin Phoenix in The Master
- Best Actress – Hadas Yaron in Fill the Void
- Best Director – Paul Thomas Anderson for The Master
- Jury Prize – Paradies by Ulrich Siedl
- Best Screenplay – Apres Mai
- Best Cinematography – E Stato il Figlio